In recent years, the all-important dishwasher has become as integral to a kitchen's functionality and design as the refrigerator. And just like the fridge, it is often found hidden behind stylish panel doors, or used as a trio, coordinated with other matching appliances. However, unlike the hefty price tag that can come with investing in a stylish refrigerator packed with added features and amenities, the dishwasher offers stylish engineering while still being accessible to a wide range of budgets. From models designed specifically for tight spaces to units focused on top-of-the-line features (with a bit of a higher price tag), these 6 dishwashers are worth checking out.
1. The Fisher & Paykel DishDrawer (shown above) is a compact dishwasher designed for small spaces, but it also works beautifully in a large kitchen. This single dishwasher drawer combines modern dishwashing technology and a unique motor that allows for maximum dish space in a compact unit. Available in both tall and compact sizes, both with a sleek, simple aesthetic, the DishDrawer comes in black, white and stainless steel, and is packed with features like a 9-wash cycle, superior filtration and an adjustable racking system. Plus, the extra-small shapes makes it ideal for kitchen islands, urban dwellings and kitchens with limited counter space.
2. The Samsung stormwash system removes the need to pre-wash your dishes, offering style and convenience for those leading busy lives. Available in white, black and steel finishes, this Samsung dishwasher is the quietest in its class and holds up to 14 place settings in its adjustable racks. It also features a steel tub, which speeds up the drying time and resists dish staining. The clean exterior lines and minimalist panel also allow this 24-inch dishwasher to integrate in to multiple kitchen designs without compromising on style.
Photo by: Courtesy of Samsung
3. The Miele Diamond G dishwasher is a fully integrated, full-size dishwasher that offers premium design and functionality features, making it a popular choice for culinary and family kitchens alike. Featuring modern conveniences like remote vision (the unit is wirelessly connected to Miele service center, which will automatically be contacted if a significant fault occurs), a 3D cutlery tray, multiple washing programs, delayed start and internal LED lighting, the Miele dishwasher continues to place well in consumer surveys. As one of the most sought after dishwashers in North America, this model is perfect for busy families who will also appreciate the stainless steel exterior staying as clean as the dishes it washes.
Photo by: Courtesy of Miele
4. While not always on the kitchen-design radar, portable dishwashers are a great option for those who frequently entertain weekend guests or are planning a kitchen renovation in 2013. The SPT portable dishwasher, for example, is a full-capacity dishwasher that adjusts with your lifestyle, and operates by connecting to any faucet, thus eliminating the need for permanent installation or direct plumbing. The adjustable baskets, six washing cycles and auto-delay wash settings combined with the stainless steel exterior, bring portable appliances into a whole new light, offering the same style and functionality that anchored appliances provide.
Photo by: Courtesy of Home Depot
5. The 500 Series Bosch built-in dishwasher is rated the quietest dishwasher in North America, making it a must-have appliance for those with an open kitchen plan that flows into the main living space. The model is so quiet, in fact, that they added an additional floor lighting feature to let you know when it is running. With four washing options, a half-load setting, the ability to wash items as tall as 22 inches, and a sanitizing option that eliminates bacteria and produces enhanced drying results, this 24-inch unit exceeded Energy Star requirements for water conservation by 69%, making it a top choice for those concerned with energy performance, but not willing to skimp on performance or style.
Photo by: Courtesy of Bosch
6. Voted the best dishwasher under $500 in 2012 by several consumer reports, the Amana dishwasher is a stylish and value-driven choice for people on a limited budget but not willing to compromise on the overall aesthetic of their kitchen space. Equipped with an in-rack bottom cutlery basket, plate-warming option, five cycle options, and four exterior finishes to choose from, the Amana dishwasher is truly a great value option.
Photo by: Courtesy of Amana